About Toyota Warranty
Find out everything you all need about what a Toyota Warranty means - what it covers, what it doesn't, and everything in between. Make sure you know exactly how to take full advantage of the comprehensive protection we offer to you and your Toyota.
This is to certify that UMW Toyota Motor Sdn. Bhd. (UMW Toyota Motor) as assembler and distributor, warrants your new Toyota vehicle and any related repair and service that may be required, according to the following terms:
1.1 Basic Warranty Coverage
This warranty covers your Toyota vehicle. UMW Toyota Motor warrants that it will either repair or replace, at its option, free of charge, any part of the Toyota vehicle covered by this warranty that is defective in material or workmanship under normal use, for a period of 5 years from the date of first registration. Please refer to below table for mileage restriction.
This warranty will only be applicable if regular scheduled maintenance is performed at the specific interval, by model, at any UMW Toyota Motor Service Centre or its appointed dealers during this period. Please refer to “Periodic Maintenance Service” page for respective models’ service interval details.
The first 3 years or 100,000 km (whichever occurs first) is covered under the standard Manufacturer’s Warranty.
Additional 2 years extended warranty is covered by UMW Toyota Motor Sdn. Bhd.
Please refer to the following table for specific warranty coverage:
|Toyota Models||Warranty Period|
|All models except Hilux and Hiace||5 years / unlimited mileage|
|Hilux (all variants)||5 years / 150,000 km, whichever occurs first|
|Conversion, commercial* and Public usage vehicles||3 years / 100,000 km, whichever occurs first|
This Basic Warranty Coverage does not cover items listed under ‘Exceptions’ and ‘What Is Not Covered’.
1.2 Fully Transferable
The Basic Warranty Coverage is fully transferable to subsequent Toyota vehicle owners.
The following items are covered for periods and/or conditions other than the Basic Warranty Coverage.
- a) Conversion, commercial and Public usage vehicles
Any vehicles, used for other than an ordinary mode of private transportation, such as but not limited to, taxi, hire car, rally or other competitive usage, will be covered for a period of 3 years or 100,000 km travelled, whichever occurs first. Any failure resulting from the conversion, either directly or indirectly, will not be covered under warranty.
- b) Optional Accessories
Some optional accessories may have separate or additional warranty terms and conditions provided by the manufacturers and suppliers. Kindly refer to us for details.
- c) Battery
During the first 12 months from date of first registration or 20,000 km travelled, whichever occurs first, a defective original equipment battery supplied will be replaced free of charge.
- d) Tyres
Tyres are warranted under a separate warranty provided by the tyre manufacturer. Kindly refer to us for details.
1.4 Rust - Proofing
a) UMW Toyota Motor will repair rusting of treated metal surface free of charge during the warranty period of 6 years/unlimited mileage from the date of first registration of your Toyota vehicle. The first 3 years or 100,000 km (whichever occurs first) is covered under the standard Manufacturer's Warranty and the additional 3 years extended warranty is covered by UMW Toyota Motor Sdn. Bhd.
b) This rust-proofing warranty is subject to the following conditions:
The overall repair value during the warranty period shall not exceed an aggregate amount of RM4,000. The aggregate amount of RM4,000 is not exchangeable for cash. Repair must be made within a period of 14 days from the date of detection of defect by presenting your Toyota vehicle to any UMW Toyota Motor Service Centre or its appointed dealer.
That the Toyota vehicle is sent to UMW Toyota Motor Service Centre or its appointed dealer for free rust-proofing warranty inspection every 6 months or every 10,000 km travelled, whichever occurs first. A record of the warranty inspection must be entered into this guide and bear the date, mileage, inspection done and stamp of UMW Toyota Motor Service Centre or its appointed dealer. This submission for inspection is mandatory and should it not be adhered to, the warranty shall be rendered null and void.
c) This rust proofing warranty does not apply to areas not treated with rust-proofing shield such as:
- External painted surfaces
- Paint scratches
- Metal plated trim
- Damaged by collision
- Engine exhaust system-manifold mufflers, catalytic converters or mechanical parts
- Cavities filled with impenetrable coatings such as foam or other insulating materials
UMW Toyota Motor or its appointed dealer warrants that the Toyota Genuine Parts are free from defects in material and workmanship during the Basic Warranty Coverage and the replacement of the Toyota Genuine Parts during the Basic Warranty Coverage is warrantable until the expiry of the Basic Warranty Coverage.
UMW Toyota Motor or its appointed dealer warrants that the Toyota Genuine Parts purchased by the customer from UMW Toyota Motor or its appointed dealers are warranted from defects on material and workmanship for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase or 20,000 km travelled, whichever occurs first (the Warranty Period), and the replacement Toyota Genuine Parts during the Warranty Period is warrantable until the expiry of the Warranty Period.
UMW Toyota Motor warrants that it will repair or service, free of charge, any defects of poor workmanship under normal use, for labour or workmanship done by UMW Toyota Motor Service Centre or its appointed dealer within 3 months from date of invoice or 5,000 km travelled, whichever occurs first.
Finality on Warranty Claims
UMW Toyota Motor reserves the right of final decision on all warranty claims.
Warranty Service in Foreign Countries
This warranty is valid only within Malaysia. If you are touring or relocating to another country and a problem arises, please consult a local Toyota dealer. However, please note that the local Toyota dealer may not be able to provide certain warranty service, because your Toyota vehicle may not comply with the regulatory and/or environmental requirements of such country.
What's Not Covered
The following condition/situations/items are NOT COVERED under your warranty:
a) Vehicles that have not undergone any free inspection at the first 1,000 km and 5,000 km intervals and at the recommended periodic maintenance service as specified in the Owner’s Manual at any UMW Toyota Motor Service Centre or its appointed dealer. To keep the vehicle warranty in effect, the vehicle must be serviced according to the maintenance schedule (in addition to the first two service, for passenger vehicles, every 10,000 km or 6 months, whichever occurs first; and for commercial vehicles every 5,000 km or 3 months, whichever occurs first), with the correct service package at any UMW Toyota Motor Service Centre or its appointed dealer.
b) Repairs and adjustments caused by improper maintenance or lack of required maintenance as specified in the Owner’s Manual.
c) Repairs and adjustments caused by misuse (i.e. racing, overloading, vehicle operation and handling against instructions in the Owner’s Manual), accident, negligence, modification, alteration, tampering, disconnection, fire, theft, riot and improper adjustments or repairs.
d) The use of non-genuine Toyota parts, lubricants or fluids not recommended by UMW Toyota Motor for use in Toyota vehicles under this warranty, including any second or other brand parts, lubricants or fluid supplied by Toyota or its appointed dealers.
e) The replacement of normal maintenance parts such as spark plug, distributor points, drive belts (including air-cond belts), wiper blades, brake lining and pads, lamp bulbs, fuses, filters, refrigerant, receiver drier, lubricants and fluid are not covered, when they are replaced as maintenance service ordinarily required with vehicle use, except in cases where these parts are replaced as a result of clearly discernible defect in material or workmanship.
f) Parts and components in below categories including but not limited to the following:
- Engine system
- oil seals, hoses, tubes, clamps, clips, core plugs, tensioners, timing belts, bearings and engine mountings. (unless replacement of any parts covered under warranty).
- Drive train/Transmission system
- drive shaft boots, clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearings, clutch disc & plates, brake bands, all pipes, hoses and filters.
- Brake system
- brake pads, brake shoes, brake drums and brake discs (unless replacement of any parts covered under warranty).
- Electrical system
- fuses and lamp bulbs.
- Engine system
g) The labour, parts and/or lubricant costs of maintenance services such as engine tune-up, cooling system and fuel system cleaning, carbon and sludge removal, inspection and adjustment of brake, clutch, drive belt and linkage of various parts, wheel alignment, wheel balancing, tyre rotation and other similar maintenance service ordinarily needed with vehicle use.
h) Normal noise, vibration, wear, tear, or deterioration such as discolouration, fading, deformation, blur, etc.
i) Component failure due to wear and tear, such as but not limited to, uneven wear of brake discs and drums; hardening of rubber components; poor/weak damping of shock absorbers.
j) Poor appearance of any interior or exterior components including but not limited to fading, internal scratches, deformity, expansion, contraction, shrinkage, discolouration, oxidation, etc. that may not impede the basic function of the component.
k) Cosmetic or surface corrosion from stone chips or scratches in the paint.
l) Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fall-out (chemicals, tree sap, etc.), stone, road hazards, salt, hail, windstorms, lightning, floods, sabotage, earthquake, vandalism, bird droppings, insect or animal bites, other acts of God and the like.
m) Any damage to the wheels caused by external matters including but not limited to road debris, sharp objects, curb, water and chemicals.
n) Any abnormal tyre wear due to poor tyre maintenance like alignment, balancing, over or under inflation, improper mounting or dismounting, and periodic tyre rotation.
o) Failure of a vehicle on which the odometer mileage has been altered or changed so that the actual vehicle mileage cannot be readily ascertained.
p) Any damage of glass such as breakage, scratches, edge finish chipping or optical distortion due to other than defect in material or workmanship.
q) Incidental and consequential damages including but not limited to telephone calls, car rental charges, hotel bills, loss of time and inconvenience or commercial loss.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
With effect from 1 April 2016, all Toyota models will come with 5 years / unlimited mileage warranty for all models except Hilux and Hiace. The following are the 5-year Warranty for official models sold by UMWT:
|Toyota Model||Warranty Duration|
|Hilux & Hiace||5 years / 150,000 km (whichever occurs first)|
|Others||5 years / unlimited mileage|
The 5-Year Warranty is offered to provide better value and peace of mind for your purchase.
It is now a common industry practice to offer 5 years / unlimited mileage warranty for passenger vehicles. Toyota is the first make to offer 5 years warranty for commercial vehicles which covers an additional mileage of 50,000 km.
No insurance company is involved in this extended warranty.
The extended warranty is wholly undertaken by UMW Toyota Motor Sdn. Bhd.
To maintain the validity of the 5-Year Warranty, the vehicle must be serviced according to the maintenance schedule and service package set for the vehicle at an authorised Toyota Service Centre during the 5-year period. The following table shows the maintenance schedule and appropriate service package for each vehicle type:
|Vehicle Type||1st Service (km)||2nd Service (km)||Maxcheck Basic
|Maxcheck Advance Plus
|1k||5k||15k, 25k, 35k, 45k, 55k, 65k, 75k, etc.||10k, 20k, 30k, 50k, 60k, 70k, 90k, etc.||40k, 80k, 120k, 160k, 200k, etc.|
Whatever that was covered in the 3 years / 100,000 km will be covered under the 5-Year Warranty. For further details, please refer to the warranty terms and conditions or consult your friendly Toyota Service Centre for details.
Yes, the 5-Year Warranty stays with the vehicle regardless of change in ownership.
Any vehicles which are not purchased for private use, such as but not limited to public transport, taxi, rental car, converted vehicles and goods carriers, are not entitled to the 5-Year Warranty. The vehicle warranty for these vehicles will be 3 years / 100,000 km, whichever occurs first.
Hybrid Battery 8-Year Assurance
The Toyota Hybrid Battery comes with extended coverage up to 8-years for your peace of mind.
Applicable Models: All Hybrid Vehicles manufactured and sold from 2009 onwards.
Hybrid Battery 8-Year Assurance Policy
The Hybrid Battery of your vehicle with an exclusive 8-Year Assurance with no mileage restriction.
The first 3 years or 100,000km (whichever comes first) is covered under the standard Manufacturer's Warranty while the additional 5 years thereafter is covered by UMW Toyota Sdn. Bhd.
This coverage takes effect from the vehicle registration date.
Compliance to the set Terms and Conditions is essential to ensure that the coverage remains intact.
Hybrid Battery 8-Year Assurance Terms and Conditions
- The Hybrid vehicle must be serviced and maintained by any one of UMW Toyota Motor Service Centres or its appointed authorized dealers in accordance to the vehicles standard warranty terms and conditions stipulated in the Toyota Careplus Booklet
- The Hybrid Battery 8 Years Assurance refers to the coverage of the Hybrid Battery only.
- The Hybrid Battery 8 Years Assurance covers rectification needed to correct defects in material or workmanship of the component.
- The Hybrid Battery 8 Years Assurance is fully transferable to subsequent vehicle owners.
- The Hybrid Battery 8 Years Assurance is not applicable to vehicles used for public transport, rental car or chauffeur limousine services.
- Effective 1st March 2016, used Hybrid batteries have been categorized as scheduled waste (Environmental Quality Act 1974. Act 127) by Department of Environment (DOE) and must be disposed to licensed contractor. The disposal fee is RM300 (Pen. Malaysia) or RM375 (East Malaysia) and other relevant costs when replacing the Hybrid Battery is to be borne by the vehicle owner within the additional 5 years assurance period. All used hybrid batteries replaced in any UMW Toyota Motor authorized dealers must be surrendered to the outlet for proper disposal.
Hybrid Components 8 + 2-Year Assurance Certificate
Available Models : All Toyota Hybrid Vehicles sold by UMW Toyota Motor and its authorized dealers from 2022.
Hybrid Components 8 + 2-Year Assurance Policy
- The terms and conditions contained herein is an extension of the existing terms and conditions in the Careplus.
- The Hybrid vehicle must be serviced and maintained by any of UMW Toyota Motor's authorized dealers at every 10,000 km or 6 months, whichever comes first.
- The following Hybrid Components in your vehicle comes with an exclusive 8 + 2-Year Assurance with no mileage restriction.
- Hybrid Battery
- Hybrid Vehicle Control Computer
- The first 3 years or 100,000 km (whichever comes first) is covered under the standard Manufacturer's Warranty while the additional 7 years thereafter is covered by UMW Toyota Motor Sdn. Bhd.
- This coverage takes effect from the date of first registration.
- Compliance to the set Terms and Conditions is essential to ensure the coverage remains intact.
Hybrid Components 8 + 2-Year Assurance Terms and Conditions
- The Hybrid vehicle must be serviced and maintained by any of UMW Toyota Motor's authorized dealers in accordance to the vehicles standard warranty terms and conditions stipulated in the Careplus.
- The Hybrid Components 8 + 2-Year Assurance refers to the coverage of the following components only:
- Hybrid Battery
- Hybrid Vehicle Control Computer
- The additional 2-Year Assurance is only applicable if the customer had purchased the additional 2-Year Assurance at the point of vehicle purchase or during the first 12 months of vehicle ownership.
- The Hybrid Components 8 + 2-Year Assurance covers rectification needed to correct defects in material or workmanship of the component.
- The Hybrid Components 8 + 2-Year Assurance is fully transferable to subsequent vehicle owners.
- The Hybrid Components 8 + 2-Year Assurance is not applicable to vehicles used for public transport, rental car or chauffeur limousine services.
- An administrative fee and any other relevant costs, if any, in replacing the Hybrid Components, is to be borne by the vehicle owner after the first 3 years or 100,000 km, whichever comes first.
- These faulty hybrid components remain the property of UMW Toyota Motor and its authorized dealers regardless of cash or warranty replacement.
- In the event the vehicle in question has been declared a total loss by any insurance company, this assurance policy will be null and void with immediate effect
- UMW Toyota Motor reserves the right of final decision on all warranty claim.
*UMW Toyota Motor reserves the right to add, amend or withdraw any of the above terms and conditions without prior notice.